I, as a professor, have always felt that a holistic view of any subject should be taken into account if one wants to understand it fully and in depth. Holistic view in general sense means macro aspect i.e. the subject should be understood or known from the point of view of others not only from one’s own personal point of view. Only then can the problem be solved which gives satisfaction to the maximum number of people and includes the welfare of the maximum number of people. However, we all know that we feel the pain of others only when we put ourselves in the circle of pain of others. Just like when we have a headache, we know this is what happens when others have a headache. When we have an operation or we are suffering from a disease, we know what the pain of other patients will be like? It is not that we do not feel the pain of others but an effect is like SMASHAN VAIRAGYA i.e. a few minutes of theology, goodness enters us and immediately due to personal selfishness we leave that goodness and reject it.
At a time when the whole world is facing an epidemic of corona, my personal opinion was that this particular type of epidemic would inevitably make an individual or a society holistic as it is an different kind of epidemic in which warring of others has become necessary in one’s own interest and perhaps with this implicit understanding God sent this epidemic into the world, but as time goes on, the reality is very adverse, which is a sad thing. For the past three months, messages have been circulating on social media about the great things that the Corona epidemic has been teaching people, but as the epidemic progresses, the implementation of good advice in life is declining, meaning there are big questions of conduct. People seem to have less positivity. As a professor, I feel more about the world of education as people become more selfish and self-centered. In fact, when it comes to online education, this is not just a matter of teachers, educational institutions, students and parents it is a matter of society as a whole. Maybe that’s why I thought it appropriate to make a little longer introduction instead of coming straight to the topic.
There are many questions associated with online education such as
1) Is online education system suitable or not? It occurs to me that if any other option is available it can be considered but in this epidemic when direct contact is impossible we have no other option but to accept the online option. That is why it is more desirable to accept change with a deep understanding of love than to accept it with disdain.
2) If there is no other option and you have to accept online study in terms of education, what method can be used? That is another question because there are many methods available for online education like live class as well as video sharing but we all know that there are good and bad aspects of each system. There are many disturbance issues in online classes like physical classes as students study from home, talk to others, study with eating, shouting on someone, interrupt the whole online class by talking to other members of the household, and if there is any internet connection problem arises at that time Students are more likely to be suffered. Similarly video sharing has no time constraint. Students can watch and receive videos at any time but uploading videos of such a long lecture often takes a lot of time. From the point of view of a professor or a teacher, they have to prepare more than one lecture and considering the time to upload so many lectures and the limitations of many technologies, even a video lecture cannot give a complete result. Also explanation with diagram in video lectures as well as doing mathematical calculations becomes a bit difficult so the entire subject becomes difficult to understand.
3) Whichever method is adopted will it suit everyone or not? That is a very big question. We all know that no decision can ever satisfy one hundred percent of the people. In that sense, there must be enough openness in everyone to accept every system. Since online education is not a permanent system, it is an alternative to an emergency in the context of an epidemic.
4) This is the first time in life that such a crisis has arose for the decision making authority So that they do not have other option except adopting the trial and error method. From that point of view, it is not possible for any decision of the authority to be accepted by all, but from the point of view of the authority, considering the issue and lovingly accepting or opposing the decision taken by them is based on one’s own discretion.
5) It is also in the interest of the students that the teachers who have never been accustomed to online are willing to work hard in this regard (not under duress). It is also reasonable for society to expect more from him as a teacher. Because the teacher is always the one who understands the problem of others more than his own problem and tries to give cent percent to his students even after enduring a little more trouble. If we can’t become such a teacher then I think it is better to choose another profession than to become a teacher. But at the same time, everyone in the society should appreciate such an excellent teacher who will continue to be good to them.
6) Adjusting one-self to the new method is an equally important thing for students. If students can’t do that, many new questions may arise. This is because the moral responsibility of the students increases when every institution, the whole economy and every individual or authority makes their own efforts for the benefit of the student. It is my personal belief that it is time for students to show the highest maturity in such a crisis because another person cannot do us good unless we have full awareness or alertness.
7) There is also a complex question regarding the health of the students, their eye-sides and mental health etc. which of course a serious matter of taking into account. The same thing applies to teachers also but perhaps the society always forgets to pay attention to it.
8) Apart from this, a very important thing is about the fee payment made by the parents. Selflessness and generosity from them are essential. The contribution and generosity of the parents to run the whole new system well is like a back bone.
9) When and how much the government should be ready to help is also an important question related to online education.
10) Many important matters like how to give importance to the opinion of each level of authority i.e. principals, administrators, vice chancellor of the university, student leader wings etc. and how to make a decision in the interest of all are connected with online education.
In the midst of so many questions, today’s education is faltering and it saddens me to say that everyone seems to be making decisions only in their own selfishness such as how to teach in schools and colleges for two consecutive months? How to organize exams? Intensive efforts are also being made to set up a new inter-capital structure by allocating maximum time for etc. Teachers are coming out of their years old teaching method and are spending more hours in learning new things even though parents don’t see their pain and problem. Why should we just pay the fees? They are also emphasizing on the argument that less hours are taught so fees should be reduced. I clearly believe that all educational institutions are taking up the task of teaching with great dedication. Maybe say working harder than routine. For example, if we talk about one teacher, the professors who usually teach for three hours are currently spending many hours learning new technology as well as uploading the lectures online and preparing PPT etc.
As I said earlier, online class or video upload process all have factors like net speed, connection, video length, mood of technology etc. Besides, I have to work 10 to 12 hours from home to listen to students’ reviews, reply to them bring solutions etc. through WHATSAPP with the responsibility of preparing the next day’s lecture. Thus the work of the educational institution and the academic staff has been increased. As a professor, I believe that it is not in the interest of the whole community if the parents are reluctant to pay the tuition fees and the administrators show cruelty in deducting the salary due to non-receipt of fees. Administrators are not in a position (in a self-financed college) to be generous even if they want to, if the parents are not generous. Because they also have the responsibility to run the organization at all costs. The new costs of online education are also to be borne. Moreover, the government does not provide any help to self-financed schools or colleges. Thus, it is my personal belief that the government and the university should not discriminate in times of crisis. In fact, all self-financed colleges are affiliated with the university. All the rules of the university apply to them. The University has the unfettered right to interfere in their operations whenever the need arises. From that point of view, even when it comes to helping, in times of crisis, it is not appropriate to withdraw just by saying that it is self-finance.
As I said at the beginning it is never possible to solve the problem without understanding Holistic View. It should also be considered appropriate to cut your salary in your organization if we do not understand the plight of the servants working in our house during the Corona epidemic. It just so happens that I don’t give money to anyone without work but I should get my salary. The whole world and nature go by the rule of give and take. Parents should be generous in paying fees with sincerity and good intentions, with the understanding that you can only get if you give. Teachers should try to provide excellent education to the student even by doing more work. Students should make a moral effort to adapt to the new situation. Managers should make decisions in the best interest of employees, keeping life large during times of crisis. Moreover, it does not seem inappropriate to use a small portion of the profits earned by the hard work of these same employees in good times for them in times of crisis. The fact that God cares about our profits by doing social welfare work without worrying about more profit should be accepted wholeheartedly. The university should cultivate the spirit of helping each college in the difficulties without bias and the government should become the parents of the people and open the treasury with generosity and cultivate the morality that the treasury should be used in a very practical and excellent way. That is, the rupee should not be wasted. If there is a problem in our house and if everyone decides in their own interest and does not have the spirit of helping others then the destruction of the family is decided and the destruction of the family includes the destruction of the individual.
Right now not only online education but in everything we are selfish and think only of ourselves. It is almost impossible to get a holistic result in this way. Parents are only concerned about fees when it comes to online education, they do not want to understand the side of others. Government school-college teachers are more concerned about continuing their salaries but not having to work harder (not taking online classes). Managers only have to deal with their own profits. An institution like a university is left with a dilemma as to how the headaches are reduced and when we shift our tension to another get relaxed and the government may not know what to do as if the lockdown opens, the cases will increase and if kept the lockdown, employment issues will continue and business suffers and government has more concerns of a devastating impact on the economy. Moreover, no matter what decision is taken, people will always criticize, even in the decision-making process the backing of their own people cannot be obtained which leads to missed out on excellent decision making. In short, whether it is online classes or any other aspect of the economy, I think unless we understand the views and pains of others, think of the interests of others and make decisions out of selfishness and condemn any decision taken by the authority, happiness, peace or development Progress will not be possible. We have to prepare heaven for each other.
If we prepare hell for another then the other will do the same for us and all will have to face unbearable pain. Rather than making a selfless decision in times of crisis, if everyone starts working in the interest of all, there is no doubt that the time of this epidemic will teach mankind a lot and give excellent results. God also sat up and rejoiced that my child deserved so much. We all know that the true test of man is in times of crisis. The situation created in the field of education due to corona epidemic is not a permanent situation so let’s create the necessary maturity to create a paradise for all and make sure that none of our selfish decisions cause pain in anyone’s life, I think then only we achieve success in the test taken by God in the form of crisis.
SHILPA Shah – Director In-charge HKBBA College