The tongue, which is an invaluable gift of God to human beings, is distinguished in many ways in terms of its characteristic. It performs more functions than the other senses. Maybe God also has special faith in the power of the tongue that is why he has given more than one task to human tongue.
The two main functions of the tongue, eating and speaking are very important and essential on which the whole of human life is based. The more discreet use of both the more peaceful, secure and happy life will be. The tongue is the best as well as inferior part of the body among all because it has the power to make frustrated and depressed person vigorous, energetic and enthusiastic and even it has power to ruin the energy and enthusiasm of human being. There are two kinds of power in tongue, one is creative power and the other is destructive power so that the use of the tongue with deep sense is inevitable. Both the functions of the tongue eating and speaking are extremely dangerous in which discretionary wisdom is indispensable, otherwise it would be almost impossible to remove pain and unrest from life. That is why the scriptures have described many rules of speech, six main rules in terms of Upanishads and a total of eight rules in terms of practice which we have already discussed in the previous article so today we will talk about the peculiarity, characteristic or uniqueness of human tongue. The main eleven peculiarities of the tongue are as follows.
1) The tongue is the best organ in many parts of the body and the tongue is also the inferior organ because it has the power of both creation and destruction. All the senses of the human body do only one function like seeing by two eyes, hearing by two ears and sniffing by two nostrils but one tongue does two things that is two functions eating and speaking. Thus the tongue is completely different and important than the other senses. Because only if the tongue does both of its functions well can there be health and peace in life.
2) Sometimes the question arises that why the nature that regulates and control every sense with the bone has not arranged the bone in the tongue? One might think that nature wants man to be uncontrollable, but the wise man knows that nature has left the responsibility of speech or word control to the intelligent organism of the universe that is man or human. Also, nature may want to keep the tongue soft in the absence of bones. In that sense, it is easier to control the tongue than the other senses because it requires a certain effort to eat or speak (both are not possible without opening mouth). It does not happen spontaneously like other senses. Just as bad odors are easily sniffed, not seeing is mistakenly seen, not listening may suddenly fall on the ears, while nature has given a box of mouth with close door to tongue so that eating or speaking can never be done without efforts means without opening the door of mouth. By this God explains that one should always maintain discretion in actions like eating and speaking.
3) The tongue is very lucky in terms of health and longevity. In old age every sense is weakened. The eyes are dim, deafness of ears, loosening of teeth, trembling of hands and feet but no power of tongue has been reduced. Speech and taste habits may increase with age. Medical science has also made great strides. Eyes, kidneys, teeth can be replaced. Plastic surgery of the nose and ears can also be done. But the tongue is original to the end of life. This reality of the tongue gives it proud place in all the organs. So it is the responsibility of all of us to maintain its dignity through proper use. But the reality is that the tongue does not stay dry, cannot stay proper probably that is why there are no tongue specialist doctors. Because who will be ready to take discredit? Repairing or curing the tongue (like other organ diseases) is also not possible and if you want to do it, you can do it yourself only. Others (no doctor) cannot be much useful or help you out.
4) The tongue is the barometer of the whole body. The problems of the body can be identified by looking at the tongue. That is why the doctor first examines the tongue of the sick person. A bruised tongue indicates chest pain the dirt in the middle of the tongue indicates indigestion or stomach disease. Unhealthy weak tongue suggests anemia. A thick and swollen tongue indicates a disorder of the stomach and nerves. A yellow coating on the tongue indicates bile disorder. A pale brown layer is a sign of fever. If the tongue becomes like the color of lead, it indicates that death is near. Thus the tongue is a mirror of the whole body. Oceanography also uses the tongue to examine human symptoms. Seeing the sores on the tongue when the stomach is upset, the judiciary of nature is overwhelmed as the stomach is spoiled due to the storm of the tongue so that it is punished for its sin or crime. Spoil of stomach or body can be judge by tongue same as the spoil of mind and life can be judge by the words coming through the tongue. In short, we can get lot of idea of the physical and mental health of a human being through the tongue.
5) A human being is not immediately recognizable by his nose, ears, hands and feet, but by the food habit and speech that is by the functions of the tongue. The tongue is a thermometer that measures a person’s level. This is probably why a thermometer is placed under the patient’s tongue to determine the body temperature. Not only body temperature but also brain temperature is instinctively known from the tongue.
6) Flexibility is a feature of the tongue. The eye never comes out of its pit. The nose always remains stable. Ears and teeth are also fixed at the place. But the tongue can move anywhere, can be long or short, can come out of the crevice, and the beauty of the mouth also depends a lot on the tongue. If the tongue is sticking out, the face looks angry and rough and if it is inside, it looks soft.
7) The tongue is also used to express feelings and emotions such as take it out to express feelings of surprise and regret, use it differently to annoy others, etc.
8) Now let’s talk about the selfishness of the tongue, one picture many people can see. One flower can smell by many people. But more than one person cannot taste the same lump or piece of special dish. Thus the other senses are generous while the tongue is compressed or selfish.
9) There is no other senses like the tongue that have the impatience to respond. Saliva generation becomes fast in front of a favorite dish before eating and also the response is quick through speech whether something you like it or not. Thus the tongue shows great impatience in doing it’s both functions which despite being extremely dangerous, human beings suffer many consequences due to lack of control over it. The mobility of the whole world is attributed to the tongue. With its prudent use the whole world can get peace.
10) Not only animals like snakes and scorpions are poisonous, human beings also have poison in their tongues which we have observed all our lives from many experiences of speech. That is why keeping grains in the mouth all night and taking them out in the morning becomes poisonous which is the scientific proof of this.
11) Nature has created teeth to control the naughty tongue but the age of the tongue is the same as the age of a human being while the age of the teeth is less than that because they end up patrolling or controlling a naughty tongue. A tongue which looks soft is more than powerful to ruin the strong and sharp teeth. Even though tongue is boneless, it has power to break the bones.
The scriptures advise us to understand the power of such a tongue and use it rationally or beneficially, which in my view is very scientific. Damage from the misuse of any of the senses is only to be borne by the person himself while the uncontrolled tongue takes away the happiness of many. So that we should understand the beauty of words, we should follow the rules of speech and we should never forget that it is in the interest of the entire mankind.
SHILPA shah, director in-charge HKBBA College